Sunday 2 February 2020

Week 18

Time to Think About the Set

While writing actions in the script I have realised how closely the script and the storyboard inform the set design. Decisions e.g. position of the relevant furniture and props within the set had to be made. The puppet size also determines the set and props size. This will also be in scale 1:6, same as the puppets.

The setting in the room definitely has got a bedside lamp. Lights integrated into the set are a new topic for me and so I have purchased a guide on  LED lights on model sets. I have ruled out the light to be mains power supplied as a battery holds for a decent time with LEDs. This will not put more strain on the number of available plugs and cables on the set and allows for the battery pack to be discretely hidden in the furniture. I have contacted Jennifer from Small Scale Lights for some advice on what LEDs and what battery pack is most suitable for my set.
https://www.smallscalelights.co.uk/

Furniture prototypes in 1:6 scale.

Testing the chair to fit an adult human puppet in 1:6 scale.

Wiring the LEDs to the 3V 2xAAA battery pack

Testing with a lampshade made of Polymorph

My vision of the Set 1

Maintaining physical health and learning more about (anxiety-driven) procrastination.

These mini LEDs throw a good sharp shadow of an object such is this prototype chair.

Sculpting the face of the Dad character into a non-drying non-toxic Plastiline

Adding more detail.

Testing moulding polymorph against Plastiline and then polymorph against the moulded piece of polymorph using a mould wax release agent.

Moulding polymorph over the head. 
Originally I wanted to test making the mould from re-meltable PVC rubber to be able to make replacements should anything break. It is reusable and so is polymorph. I do not have a safe place to use the re-meltable PVC rubber at home yet (outside of the food area) and so I tried the polymorph moulding. Polymorph states to be biodegradable in soil. Likely because of the shape of the mould I was not able to take the two apart and the Plastiline head got damaged in the process. Now I wish I have made a silicone mould but I find the technique creates a lot of waste.

It was good to have Jenny's help on the part with polymorph and if she is interested I would like some more assistance with my first set.

Li was back and able to do the last drawing - the little girl. Well, in the script I provided him with, it was a little boy, now that has changed for the character background story to make more sense.


I have also composed a file that I sent to the wood workshop for advice on the base for my set.

PDF of the set structure proposal of materials and measurements

No comments:

Post a Comment