Sunday 26 January 2020

Week 17

Comparing the Armatures

Armature I have borrowed from my course:



What is good: 
  • Great to learn how such armature works and is assembled including tightening the joints, K&S and tie-downs.
  • To get the feel for well-working joints - can compare with wire armatures for a range of motion etc. 

Problems: 
  • Some joints have been secured using Loctite glue, others have not. 
  • This makes the armature no longer adjustable to the size of my puppet. 
  • I still need to find K&S that will fit the existing neck and hand ends.
  • How do you build a puppet on an armature without damaging it in any way and then be able to disassemble the puppet? 
Armature I have bought at MAF:



What is good:
  • The number of parts in the Creature kit.
  • Leaflet with the sizes of each part allowing to re-order exactly what is needed for a future project. 
Problems:
  • The kit does not include the special Loctite glue = extra cost
  • It is expensive, I paid £90 with a discount. I definitely cannot use such armature for all of my puppets in this film as I would get way beyond the budget. So I am going to save it for a production that will definitely benefit from a long-lasting puppet - such as the animation in Sign Language that I am planning to do after I finish this course. 
  • Last year, the puppet I was animating with made by Zham broke in its arms before the film was finished. I have heard of wire armatures breaking and needing replacement parts. But I think this applies to a much longer film than my 3 minutes short. So I need to stop being afraid of using a wire armature. 
  • The puppet size is influenced by the size of the available parts.
Speaking of sizes of the puppets, I have decided these by searching the average height of a person depending on gender and age and put it into scale 1:6.





I remembered a version of the Cinderella story that I have watched thinking this could be the perfect inspiration for the opening scene and rough bedroom layout. So shown it to Ava. Starting from 2nd minute.










No comments:

Post a Comment