Sunday 12 January 2020

Week 15

New Beginnings



I have made a library of watercolour backgrounds and scanned them in 800 and 2400 dpi, an easy monotonous task to start me off in the New Year. The plan is to use it for Zero Carbo Headingly Brief as well as wherever I want to use my own customised background with texture. Such as during presentations.


Additionally, with Georgia, we have now completed the first full draft of storyboard for Zero Carbon Headingley.  This was to meet the deadline for initial presentation of the project. I did the sketches and Georgia did the text after we have decided on all of the scenes.





Discussing the story with Ava prior to Christmas regarding storyboard was really helpful for further story development. It was crucial that we met in person to talk about this as the written version of the script was still between drafts and hanging in the air (aka. my head).

When I met with Ava this week, she has already done so much work which was impressive considering how very drafted my script was at the time. Seeing the initial storyboard helped me highlight any areas of the story which I still needed to untangle - figure out how to tell them.

We talked about areas in the story where I knew what changes I would like to see and left the rest until I can solidify the script. 


I have since started digging deeper into why I am struggling to connect with writing the dialogue and script so much despite having the story idea in my head and being able to tell the story to others. It was very random, but one evening I was on a walk and I got the idea to tell the story in my native language. Up until now, I was trying to avoid this as I wanted to reach a wider audience and doing voice-over could also pose a problem. As soon as I started telling the story to myself in Slovak, I got overwhelmed with emotions, this was it!

Because the story is for young children it would make sense to use appropriate language, however, I am used to be able to say the same word in so many different ways to change the tone.  So I am a little envious of people who grew up speaking English because I am not sure I will ever be able to connect to it as much.

An example is given. English - rain  Slovak - dážď, ďáždik, dáždiček
Or even the names can be said with so much emotion, for example, my name, Katarína. If someone is formal they would say Pani/Slečna (depending on age) Sučíková or Katarína, but if they are angry, then Kata, if I am a little child then Katuška, otherwise Katka, Kača, Katuš etc. While my name remains the same. 

As a result, I have contacted my brother who's knowledge of Slovak language is more extensive, whether he would be happy to give me a hand or address me to someone who could, with editing the dialogue once I have finished it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment