Sunday 2 December 2018

LAUAN503 - Weekly 8

Tale Telling

One other decision I was facing was the material for the walls. The stables/ barns I have been to, usually had stone or brick walls. Whereas typical symbolic barn would look something like a red house with white support cladding. I was for long tempted to have white, plastered walls but I could not quite imagine what material would be suitable with the short time left for any tests. It should not be too porous, to be painted. Etc.

In the end I decided that recycling old boxes into the walls will be sufficient with some extra support. So I ordered the lolli sticks to use as cladding. I had issues with payment details I weren't aware of at first and so it took a few tries ordering until it came through couple of days delayed. In the meantime I found some lolli sticks in a shop in the city that allowed me to test the technique.

I ended up glueing down over 1000 lolli sticks on the walls and the floor, clipping off both ends of each so that it would not be round.

As I tested last week, the tiles itself took the paint nicely. The glass paint has the advantage that it blends the brush marks before it dries as well as being glossy. Two layers of paint are sufficient to cover the surface nicely :).

However making the tiles itself was complicated. The flat I live in is naturally cold and does not heat up well. So I opted to use the radiator for fast drying. This shrank and curled up the tiles a little and that is the main reason I had to sand down the imperfections. However it was still more time efficient then letting these dry naturally in such a cold place.

Adding walls to the piano armature
Fitting the tiles, ready to be taken off and painted white.


Glueing down the tiles and painting over these with glass paint


Sanding down tiles to fit the gaps



Lolli sticks on cardboard walls and trimmings, 

No comments:

Post a Comment