Tuesday 19 May 2020

Expanding Experience in Puppet Making

2 Day Workshop with Jennifer Kidd


 

Why? I cannot explain this but I better learn a new skill when I have the opportunity to do it under direct guidance and supervision. I think it helps me to put overthinking aside and so I learn the skill quicker. Which is difficult, considering how independent it is studying the undergraduate course. 

I still remember crystal clear the basic wire armature workshop from 1st Year. Except it did not work for me on many levels then: 
  • My character design was printed in what I thought would be large enough but turned out to be a way too hard to work with the scale vs. detail. 
  • I borrowed a leftover epoxy putty when I ran out and it probably was not mixed well enough because my puppet cracked in that spot (always check your Milliput).
  • The clay kept breaking at any simple movements, I guess if I had to work with it again, I would actually resculpt it frame by frame or where needed, but then I found it frustrating. Even now, I prefer a puppet with clothes or at least so that the joints are hidden and free to move. 
Therefore, when the opportunity to do an advanced puppet fabrication workshop raised, I chose to do it. https://www.control-art-delete.com The fact that I could do this during the Covid-19 lockdown via Zoom was a plus. Jennifer Kidd who ran the workshop is an Animation Director and Art Director with a wonderful portfolio

What went well?
  • opportunity to ask questions to a professional puppet maker
  • created a bond with epoxy glue, really, I have been avoiding it but now we are besties
  • created a functional, lightweight, posable puppet
  • confidence boost in puppet making, skill for future projects

I have been left with many tips on different glue applications (a topic I was getting anxious about, glue, same as Macs do not get along with me well) and places for sourcing some materials: 

What went wrong?
  •  Apart from the internet connection, occasional glue spill and a small cut, nothing.
When my financial situation allows, I will book myself onto a professional Malvern armature workshop. 


No comments:

Post a Comment