Sunday 26 April 2020

Main Project, Plan B, Week 1


 Re-making Set 1

I love textures and I think that is one thing I am not willing to compromise even in a tight deadline. 


Using my old puppet and borrowed tripod to figure out the size of the set for specific shots in the animatic. 

Cleaning up space after the previous short project. This is also to make sure I do not have any more big-spider surprises and goosebumps every time I try to find something in the studio mess. Spoiler, most things were just shifted to the other side of this room. 

I do not own the table, therefore few bin bags should protect it from damage. 

With big help from R. Scott, this basic cage fore the set was made. I had a go at putting a few screws in with a cordless drill and my hands were shaking, I need more practice with tools like this. By the way, the wood is from an old bed that was meant to go to Scrap, free wood. 

Getting really messy with the remake of my first set. You can tell I am running low on cardboard.

I love textures and so I used mod podge to put down some fabric on the cardboard 'wood' boards. 

I am really enjoying the freedom that I am building the set on the spot, I feel like me once again, no excessive overthinking and worry of moving the set around, just getting on with it.

Toilet rolls from Essential Waitrose range, perfect warm colour for the walls. 


PVA glue and water mixture for dipping the paper. 




Newspaper to capture excess water. 


I had to go to Wilko's one of the only shops open where I could get more PVA glue and some bandages for puppets. 

Wall now needs to dry, it is way more soaking than I expected and I had to put down the extra paper to absorb dripping liquid. I think some got underneath the cardboard floorboards too. I used a card from a cereal box to make the wall stones. 

Painting the floorboards with a mixture of acrylic paint, avoiding floorboards next to each other until I am sure that I have mixed enough paint.

That is a lot of floorboards. 


And that is the first layer done. 

Darker paint for the gaps. 


Painting the floorboards' gaps with dark brown, waterproof ink of a Pigma brush.

Making a lampshade.

Whilst making the floorboards, I have realised that the mod podge will help me keep the fabric in shape to make a lampshade. 



I used a cup protected with cling film to do this. After removing the cup, I trimmed the excess fabric. It turned out very well.

In the meantime, there has been a cat war between ours and the neighbour's cat. 


Figuring out how to make the new furniture since I am out of hot glue sticks and running very low on balsa wood (delivery times are quite bad right now and glue sticks that I could get from The Works for about a £1 for 100 pieces are more like £7-£10 on Amazon). In the meantime, the wall dried out nicely apart from a crack in the corner which I can hide easily. My guess is, it is because of the uneven base and excess moisture. 













No comments:

Post a Comment